I’ve always enjoyed giving holiday gifts to loved ones, and just the same, have always appreciated receiving thoughtful gifts. However, holiday gifting became more challenging for me as I became more health conscious. It also became more challenging for my family members who no longer knew what to give me for the holidays…
In previous years, I would bake holiday cookies and send them in tins to friends, family members, and work colleagues. I would get my husband the latest cologne or take him to the latest trendy restaurant. I would often buy candy and other sweets as stocking stuffers for everyone. Family members never had a hard time picking out gifts for me… I loved scented everything!
But in 2011, I started to learn about how many of the common things in my life were affecting my health and exacerbating my Hashimoto’s.
- The sugar in the candy and cookies was causing blood sugar imbalances.
- The gluten and dairy in the baked goods were causing my acid reflux, diarrhea, and carpal tunnel.
- The perfumes, colognes, and lotions were filled with endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
And once you know something, you can’t “unknow it.” I didn’t feel right gifting things that I learned were detrimental to one’s health. But being health conscious doesn’t mean we can’t give or receive fun holiday gifts! It does mean we have to be a bit more creative though…
Destination gift ideas are always fun, but because of 2020 (and well, maybe budget too, lol), we are not able to take our loved one on that romantic trip to Fiji, right? So, we have to look to other options. 😉
In this article, I share some fun ideas for gifts you can give (or receive yourself). You’ll find gift ideas for:
- The foodie
- The fashionista and beauty guru
- The healthy chef
- Your new year health goals
(Feel free to forward this list to a loved one or treat yourself — you deserve it!)
For the Lifelong Learner in Your Life
- Gifts of Knowledge – It seems that everywhere we turn, there’s someone else that has been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s or another thyroid condition. One of the greatest gifts that I can offer you are my books, Hashimoto’s the Root Cause, Hashimoto’s Protocol, and Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology, that I poured my heart into and divulged all my knowledge that I’ve gained through my professional career and personal Hashimoto’s journey. If you haven’t picked them up for yourself, consider doing it now — for your health’s sake! If you know someone who is still trying to find their way through this maze of an autoimmune condition, gift one to them (or loan them your copy!). Are you an audiobook person? I’m excited to say that you can listen to Hashimoto’s Protocol wherever you are!
- The Hashimoto’s Self Management Program – Get ahead of your New Year’s goal(s) by enrolling in my self-management course and taking a deep, focused dive into addressing Hashimoto’s.
For a Healthy You
- Rootcology Adrenal Support – We all know the holidays can be stressful… Rootcology Adrenal Support has a blend of adrenal adaptogens that help you tolerate stress (read: annoying family members) better. 😉
- Blue Light Therapy – Like a beach in a box! Don’t let the winter blues get you down! Blue light therapy is clinically shown to reduce the winter blues and give you more energy in the winter. This little device got me through the tough Chicago winters and rainy days in Amsterdam!
- Yoga lessons – Yoga is one of my favorite ways to sweat out toxins and stay fit! Ask your local yoga instructor if you can purchase gift certificates for private or group yoga lessons that you can attend with a friend (assuming it is currently safe to do so #socialdistancingandsafetycomefirst). You can also sign up for online yoga and meditation courses from Yogaglo. Their videos can be watched from the comfort of your home—no studio required!
- The Thyroid Secret Docuseries – Cuddle up by the fire and watch these groundbreaking interviews!
- Pill Organizer – Taking multiple supplements and medications can get a little tricky to track without a pill organizer. I love this pill organizer – it’s the biggest one I could find and holds (almost) all of my weekly supplements. 🙂 Never wonder: “Did I already take my pills this morning?” again!
For a Healthy Home
- AquaTru – Fluoride is a common thyroid toxin found in our tap water. I was so excited when I learned about the one of a kind, AquaTru countertop reverse osmosis water filter! It’s one of the only countertop filters that removes fluoride from our water. I keep this water filter in my bathroom.
- Clearly Filtered – This is another company that I have recently discovered, and I have been very impressed with their products. They produce a variety of filtration systems, including water pitchers, shower heads, and under the sink filters, that are able to remove up to 99 percent of fluoride from the water. Their website provides links to independent testing results from EPA-accredited laboratories that show the levels of contaminants their products are able to remove from the water source. My science brain loves seeing these tests and knowing that the filter I’m using is doing what says it will do!
- AirDoctor – As you’re breathing deeply to stay calm (and healthy!) through the hectic season, make sure that it’s clean air by using this incredible air filter! This filter is fantastic for people with asthma, allergies or who just want to reduce their exposure to toxins. I have this filter in my bedroom!
- Air purifying plants – A study conducted by NASA found that some indoor plants can help reduce airborne toxins like formaldehyde. Sansevierias, spider plants, aloe veras, bamboo palms, and peace lilies make beautiful gifts that are sure to brighten up any home! (Note: Plants have wonderful air-purifying qualities but some can be toxic to dogs, cats or children. If you have pets or children in your home, be sure to check plants for toxicity before purchasing, and place them out of reach if necessary.)
- Magnetic Laundry System – This innovative system uses magnets, instead of detergents, to clean clothes safely and effectively. It has completely changed our laundry routine. It turns out that many of the ingredients in laundry detergent aren’t listed on the label (and can irritate one’s skin!), so eliminating this source of toxins from our household was a huge relief.
For Your “Relax and Chill” Cousin
- Bath Bombs – It’s time for a little relaxation during (or after!) all the excitement. Pamper yourself with these non-toxic, gluten-free, and vegan bath goodies after a long day.
- Epsom Salts – Soaking in an Epsom salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available. (You can read more about the importance of having sufficient magnesium levels and the benefits of Epsom salt baths here.) Throw some salts into a decorative mason jar and you’ll have a fabulous gift that your friends are sure to enjoy! What could be better than gifting a relaxing spa day at home?
- Gua Sha Tool – A Chinese medicine method for lymphatic drainage of the face.
- Journal – This is a great gift to encourage self-reflection and self-care. I’m a fan of the ones with pretty covers like these. Ones with vegan leather-bound covers are great too! I also love the Five-Minute Journal — it helps you cultivate gratitude and banish negativity from your life, and only takes five minutes to fill out each day.
- Essential Oil Diffuser – Love the smell but not the toxins of conventional perfumes? Essential oil diffusers are a healthier option to make your home smell lovely! You can use your diffuser with your favorite essential oils like frankincense, rose, and lavender. Lavender is especially calming.
- Car Essential Oil Diffuser – This USB diffuser can make anything smell better with the help of essential oils… on the go!
- Wholetones – This healing music uses specific frequencies to help facilitate restorative sleep and create a sense of peace. I’ve had great success in helping my little one relax on car rides, with Wholetones! This holiday season they have a brand new Christmas album, with “therapeutic frequencies” infused into instrumental Christmas music, for a relaxing effect.
For Your Sleep Deprived Darlin’
- ChiliPAD Sleep System – Sleep deprivation is a powerful adrenal stressor, which is why sleep hygiene is so important in restoring your health. Aside from quantity, sleep deprivation is often caused by poor sleep quality. One way to improve sleep quality is by maintaining an optimal body temperature throughout the night (which can be extra challenging for those with hormone imbalances). I use the ChiliPAD Sleep System to help regulate my body temperature during sleep. It utilizes water to match your body’s heat load, which not only improves comfort, but also affects core body temperature, recovery and deep sleep. And best of all, they’re offering my readers 25% off the ChiliPAD system using code Chilipad25, or 15% off the OOLER system using code Ooler15, at checkout.
- ChiliBLANKET – Snuggle up this winter season with the world’s first hydro-powered, temperature-controlled weighted blanket that helps deliver restful, restorative sleep. With a chiliBLANKET, you can personalize your sleep microclimate by connecting it to your OOLER or chiliPAD control unit for hydro-powered, temperature control. (Receive a special discount on your purchase of the chiliBLANKET by entering the code Chiliblanket10 at checkout!) Please note, I recommend using a weighted blanket that is within 7-15 percent of your body weight. The weight of the ChiliBLANKET is 20 lb.
- Xalm – If you are looking for a blanket that is lighter or heavier, Xalm weighted blankets come in three different weights to fit anyone on your gift list who could use a better night of sleep (who doesn’t, right?!). The Xalm blanket has been studied to reduce brain fog, improve mood, aid weight loss, improve insulin levels, and boost skin health – all by increasing sleep quality!
- Sleep Sound Machine – This one adapts to the noise level in your environment, so it’s especially useful for those near busy streets or loud cities.
- Blackout Mask – We know that sleeping in complete darkness is best for a good night’s sleep. Even better if you pair it with your sound machine! It also comes in a whole bunch of fun colors.
- Truedark – The blue light that’s emitted from our electronic devices can delay the release of sleep-inducing melatonin, increase alertness, and disrupt the body’s internal clock (or circadian rhythm). Truedark’s glasses help block the blue light, to maximize control of your circadian rhythm.
For the Sweet & Savory Snackers (+ Stocking Stuffer Lovers!) in Your Life
- Rootcology Protein Powders – Having a protein-packed smoothie in the morning can help kick off our daily nutrition and keep our blood sugar balanced. Rootcology AI Paleo Protein is a great-tasting hypoallergenic option for those on the Autoimmune Paleo diet, and it comes in a vanilla flavored version for those that prefer some additional, natural flavoring. Rootcology also offers vanilla flavored Organic Pea Protein for those looking for a vegan-friendly source of protein that has high bioavailability and excellent digestibility. I love adding Rootcology protein powder to my daily green smoothies!
- Paleovalley Grass Fed Beef Sticks – These are one of my go-to snacks when I’m in a hurry or traveling. I always try to carry one with me wherever I go!
- The Flavor Chef Gift Certificates – Warm your insides with this delicious bone broth. Drink it plain or use it in your favorite soup. Autoimmune-friendly options are available as well.
- Honey Mama’s Chocolate Bars – These bars are my newest obsession. Made with coconut meat, dark cocoa and raw honey, and blended with creative ingredients, they are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. The lavender and peppermint flavors are my two favorites!
- That’s It fruit bars or Tanka buffalo bars – Tasty, healthy snacks to have on hand for travel days (which the holiday season is typically full of!).
- Fruit Infusion Pitcher – A unique and easy way to infuse some flavor into your water. Try a new combination each day!
- MyFitnessPal (Premium) – Get all benefits of the standard membership, plus so many more offerings to customize your fitness goals and keep track of your nutrient intake.
- Nima Gluten Sensor – Worried about getting glutened while eating out? This handy little device can sniff out gluten and warn you!
For the Wino in Your Life
- PureWine Wands – Enjoy wine again without the headache! Wine intolerance is often caused by the presence of histamines and sulfites in wine, which many people are sensitive to, especially those with Hashimoto’s. PureWine has created an innovative wand that removes these problematic substances from your wine, without affecting taste or aroma – leaving you with nothing but pure wine, without those negative side effects! They’re currently offering a special discount to my readers, for 20% off your first order using code Welcome20.
- Dry Farm Wines Gift Cards – Dry Farm Wines works around the clock to source the healthiest wines out there. They are organic, low in sulfites, low in sugar, and still delicious. The company even claims that their wines are less likely to result in a hangover! If you’re going to have some white, red or #roséallday, you may as well go with the healthy option, right?
For Your Caffeine Fiend Friend
- Tea Infuser – This is so simple but, for me, has made making loose leaf tea way more enjoyable. As a bonus, it has a very easy clean up compared to other infusers.
- Pique Tea Crystals – These cold brew tea crystals contain 12 times the amount of antioxidants found in regular tea bags. This year, they have created a special “Ode to Tea” gift set that features a sustainably designed gift box. It turns into a beautiful musical tea caddy that plays Beethoven’s 9th, Ode To Joy, when opened! It also includes a beautifully printed 88-page tea and health practices book, eight sachets of their best-selling teas, and a glass beaker to craft the perfect cup of tea.
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee – This has the same great taste as coffee and supports productivity and provides antioxidants… but without the jitters, crashing, or stomach issues as with regular coffee products.
- Rasa – These adaptogenic coffee alternative blends are packed with great-tasting herbs that provide lasting energy to nourish your adrenals, rather than tax them. They contain no common allergens — just organic, sustainable herbs — and they even have an Autoimmune Paleo option. Rasa’s dark, rich, and roasty formula is a great alternative if you’re looking to cut back on caffeine. Or, try their cacao or coffee blends for a healthier version of your morning brew, with a balance of caffeine and adaptogens!
- Help make drinking tea even better and stay hydrated with a beautiful tea flask that is great for travel. Such a gift is sure to bring a smile on a loved one’s face while they enjoy their beverage.
For the Fashionista
- Winter hats, scarves, gloves, PJs, blankets, robes, and comfy socks are always seasonally appropriate and serve as a perfect gift for anyone with cold intolerance. I love my cute anti-fatigue compression socks from Dr. Shams. Wearing compression socks can really help with leg cramps, circulation, and cold feet, among other things!
- Personalized fashion gifts – Rather than picking out specific clothes for someone, I love sending personalized boxes from companies that handpick clothing based on your size and personal style, then deliver them to your door. I love Stitch Fix for everyday clothes, and use Trunk Club (a Nordstrom company) for fancier things such as designer shoes, jeans, and dresses for special occasions. The best part is that you can try on the clothes at home and send back what you don’t want, without driving to the store! (These are also great gifts for yourself.)
For the Natural Beauty Queen
- Annmarie Skin Care Sample Kit – Struggling to find the perfect little something, or are you wanting a little something special for yourself? This sample kit is great for both! You’ll love this line of natural skin care products that only uses herbs and extracts, straight from nature, in their purest forms.
- Wellnesse – This new line of haircare and toothpastes by Katie Wells (the “Wellness Mama”) contains high quality, safe ingredients that are clearly labeled, so there are no surprises! I love their shampoo for keeping my long hair soft and manageable, and their natural whitening toothpaste is a new favorite.
- Araza makeup and skincare products are made with healthy fats and organic plant-based ingredients and minerals, that all work together to feed and nourish your skin — while playing with modern, fun colors. More importantly, they are free from harmful chemicals and artificial ingredients found in most conventional makeup products, and are Paleo-certified to be free of gluten, grains, dairy, legumes and other common allergens! And, they have some special offers available for the holidays (November 27th-November 30th), including: 15% off all orders using code “holiday15”, 20% off any order over $125 using code “holiday20”, or 25% of any order over $200 using code “holiday25”.
- Butter London Nail Polish – This is great for those who want to minimize their toxic exposure but still want to have pretty nails.
- Eco Lips – Yummy, organic lip balm that keeps your lips soft during the harsh winter months.
- Tangle Teezer – Tangled hair is a symptom of thyroid disease. The Tangle Teezer will get your hair untangled without the pain and needless lost hair. I use it for everyday brushing and love it for travel and those windy days.
- Silvon Pillowcases – Woven with natural, antibacterial silver and organic cotton, these luxurious pillowcases help keep acne and allergies at bay.
For the Clean Eating Chef
- Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology – My nutrition guide/cookbook contains delicious recipes that even those without Hashimoto’s will appreciate.
- Clean Southern Cookbook – Southern food can be indulgent and pack some nutrition, too. Whether you’ve been on the Paleo diet for years, are trying to eliminate gluten for health reasons, or you are new to the world of nutrition, the recipes in this book will help you reduce the inflammation in your body and increase your intake of healing nutrients… without sacrificing Southern authenticity or flavor!
- Desert Farms Camel Milk – Camel milk has some interesting healing properties, and it’s also not reactive for most people with dairy sensitivities to cow’s milk.
- Thrive Market Gift Cards – Discounted healthy foods shipped right to your door!
- Vital Choice Gift Certificates – If fish is your choice of meat, this is an incredible option that makes finding healthy fish as easy as clicking a button.
- Great Lakes Gelatin – Made from cattle that are pasture-raised and grass-fed, this gelatin is a healthy option for your cooking needs!
- Better Batter – Baking flour that is free of the top allergens (including, of course, gluten!).
- DIY Kombucha Starter Kit – You don’t have to be intimidated any longer—this kit makes brewing kombucha fun and easy!
- Superfood Honey – This delicious, sustainably-sourced blend of raw honey, royal jelly, propolis, and bee pollen is rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and beneficial enzymes. It makes a perfect sweetener for the sweet-tooths in your family!
- Organic Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is so versatile that this gift is great for more than just cooking!
- Vitamix – This is a big ticket item that is so worth it! It’s like having your own sous chef! The Vitamix makes smoothies, soups, mashes, and nut butters, making food so much easier to digest and healthy food prep so much easier. I use mine almost daily (and so does my hubby).
- Magic Bullet or NutriBullet – I love using these little blenders for making smoothies on the go. I also take my Magic Bullet with me whenever I travel and want to avoid unhealthy hotel food.
- Juicer – The Omega Masticating juicer is a great addition to your life if you are planning on making delicious, nutrient dense juice. My mom swears that daily juicing made her hair thicker!
- Spiralizer – This is one of the funnest kitchen tools ever! Have you ever wanted to try making zucchini noodles? Experiment with this fun tool and see what different foods you can make!
- Slow Cooker – The slow cooker is an oldie but a goodie. I love dumping ingredients into the cooker, turning it on, and leaving! This is perfect to use before bed, before work, or before a dinner party. The food cooks on its own while you can do your thing!
- Pressure Cooker – This single kitchen tool has revolutionized my life in the last year. Sweet potatoes in 8 minutes – you got it! Bone broth in less than an hour – no problem! I use it for everything, from making soups and veggies, to even making homemade dog food for my hypothyroid dog Boomer. (Boomer enjoys his lamb, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Since we switched him to a home cooked diet and added some thyroid hormones, he has lost 4 pounds, has gained tons of energy, and has a beautiful shiny coat!)
- Yonanas – This is a really cool gadget for the ice cream lover in your family. Yonanas makes soft-serve ice cream from frozen bananas. You won’t believe how delicious it is until you try it!
- Digital Food Scale – Gluten-free baking is a bit of an art mixed with a science—I love my kitchen scale for helping me create gluten-free baked goods.
- Our Place Always Pan – Our Place is a new, sustainable cookware brand that sources from ethical factories, uses compostable packaging with zero plastic in sight, and uses a proprietary non-toxic coating that has been deemed the safest option by experts. Their core product is the Always Pan, which was designed to be the perfect size and shape to do the work of eight pieces of traditional cookware. It even comes with a nesting spatula and steamer basket, so you have everything you need to cook delicious, thyroid-friendly food at home. (Use code Wentz to get $10 off of your first purchase!)
This is the time of year where we give thanks for all that we have. I want to thank you, my wonderful readers, for allowing me to serve you on your healing journey!
I hope that these suggestions gave you some fun ideas for your friends and family, and maybe for yourself. What other gifts are on your wishlist?