- Educating yourself
- Optimizing nutrition
- Removing toxins
- Managing the stress response
- Supporting gut/digestive health and dental health
- Hormone optimization
- Identifying and treating contributing infections
- Symptom management
I often receive questions from readers about how to get started with the Hashimoto’s journey, and which products I use in my day to day life. I created this page as a one stop shop that can hopefully point you in the right direction to helpful resources.
Taking charge of your own thyroid health involves educating yourself, finding a like-minded practitioner that can help you, getting labs to determine your current thyroid function and potential triggers, using supportive supplements, cleaning up your home routine and optimizing your nutrition!
Over the last few years I’ve put together a list of resources to help you, no matter where you are in your thyroid journey!
Root Cause Book – A groundbreaking manual that will provide you with a roadmap to identify and remove the triggers associated with causing thyroid autoimmunity, Hashimoto’s, and hypothyroidism.
Hashimoto’s Protocol Book – This book offers a practical pathway for healing and reversing the autoimmune damage at the root of the disease. It includes a quick-start two-week detox, advice on supplements to support the liver, an adrenal recovery plan, a personalized plan with foods, supplements, and other lifestyle interventions, tailored to each body’s own unique Hashimoto’s triggers.
Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology – My cookbook and nutrition guide focuses on how to use food as medicine to reclaim your thyroid health. In it, you’ll learn how to tailor your diet to your needs, as well as how to address specific symptoms, with the power of nutrition. You’ll also find 125 delicious gluten, dairy and soy free recipes tailored to those with food sensitivities.
Hashimoto’s Program – The Hashimoto’s Self-Management Program is a step-by-step plan to help you navigate your thyroid or autoimmune journey. Course modules include: Testing, Mindset, Medications, Liver Support, Food, Nutrient Depletions, Antibodies and Nodules, Adrenals, Dental Triggers, Infections, Gut Healing and Next Steps – all designed to help you take charge and restore your health.
Thyroid Docuseries – The Thyroid Secret is a 9-part documentary series, featuring 100 brilliant experts and 64 courageous thyroid patients. It dispels the myths of thyroid disease and unravels the true path to healing.
Finding a Like-Minded Practitioner
One of the most common questions I receive from readers is regarding finding practitioners that can help them on their health journeys. Here is a Practitioner Database submitted by my readers! Please feel free to submit a practitioner if you have had success with your own clinician.
Getting Labs to Assess Current Thyroid Function, Track Progress and Identify Triggers
- Ulta Labs for blood testing – This lab allows patients to self-order labs and the labs are then reimbursed on insurance (if your plan participates – be sure to check with your insurance first!) Some of the most important labs I recommend are:
- Direct Labs – for functional medicine test kits:
- The GI-MAP test (for gut infections) is especially helpful. Eradicating gut infections can reduce symptoms and put Hashimoto’s into remission, balancing adrenal hormones, helps with overall hormones, energy, mood, sleep as well as many other symptoms.
- MyMedLab for food sensitivity and adrenal tests:
- Removal of reactive foods can eliminate symptoms and reduce thyroid antibodies. The Alletess Food Sensitivity Tests are the most helpful and accurate tests I’ve seen on the market.
- ZRT Adrenal Stress Profile – This saliva test checks for adrenal imbalances by evaluating one’s adrenal hormones DHEA-S and diurnal cortisol (morning, noon, evening, nighttime).
Optimizing Thyroid Hormones
While Synthroid continues to be one of the most commonly prescribed drugs year after year, it’s not always the best drug for each thyroid patient! I recommend working with a clinician that can help you get the right types of thyroid hormones for YOU, whether that’s T4 therapy, T3 therapy, natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) or compounded thyroid.
I created an eBook about optimizing thyroid hormones to help you to find the ideal balance of thyroid medications that makes you feel your absolute best.
The compounding pharmacy database can also help you find a pharmacy you can trust to deliver the right type of treatment to you! (If you would like to recommend a pharmacy to be added to the database, you can do so here.)
Nutrient deficiencies are a frequent occurrence in Hashimoto’s. As some of the root causes that can trigger Hashimoto’s can be somewhat elusive, addressing nutrient depletions is usually pretty straightforward. Best of all, when we address nutrient depletions, we can feel better really quickly, even when other underlying root causes are still present!
There are a number of factors that lead to nutrient deficiency, such as taking medications, food sensitivities, poor digestion, gut infection, an altered gut flora, malabsorption, eating conventionally grown foods, and even hypothyroidism itself can lead to nutrient depletions.
The six most important nutrient deficiencies are:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Ferritin (the iron storage protein)
Nutrients that generally do not require lab testing and monitoring and are safe to take by most:
- Selenium deficiency has been identified as an environmental trigger for Hashimoto’s. When selenium is used alone, a dose of 200-400 mcg per day has been found to reduce thyroid symptoms and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb) by about 50% within 3 months! Recent research has also shown that a combination of selenium and myo-inositol can have a synergistic effect that maximizes the benefit to thyroid function — consuming both of these together may not just reduce thyroid antibodies, but can also reduce TSH by an average of 30 percent. I created Rootcology’s Selenium + Myo-Inositol to combine selenium and myo-inositol in the same exact doses that were studied, with autoimmune-friendly ingredients. Please note, it’s important to continually monitor your thyroid hormone levels and symptoms, and ensure you are taking the optimal dosage for your body, for supplementation to be effective. Patients do not generally need to measure selenium levels as lab measurements are not usually reliable.*
- Thiamine, also known as B1, is a vitamin that has been found deficient in people with Hashimoto’s and Crohn’s disease. A dose of 600 mg per day has been found to improve fatigue and low blood pressure around in 3 to 5 days. Thiamine promotes energy and digestion, stimulates the production of red blood cells, works as a powerful antioxidant, and so much more. Patients do not generally need to measure thiamine levels as lab measurements are not usually reliable.
- Magnesium can help with making you more calm, reduce stress, help with promoting healthful sleep, and prevent the incidence of headaches and menstrual cramps. I recommend a dose of 400 mg or 1 to 4 capsules daily, with meals. Be sure to space it apart by at least 4 hours from thyroid medications, as magnesium can block their absorption. If loose stools are an issue, you may want to consider Magnesium Glycinate. Patients do not generally need to measure magnesium levels as lab measurements are not usually reliable.
Nutrients that require lab testing and monitoring:
- Vitamin D deficiency is more commonly found in people with Hashimoto’s and may be a factor in causing autoimmune disease. I generally recommend a dose of 2000 IU to 5000 IU and spending time in the sunshine to get Vitamin D if you have Hashimoto’s. Vitamin D supports the immune system, is good for bone health, improves cognitive function and supports a positive mood. Patients should measure and test their blood levels before supplementing.
- Vitamin B12 helps with our energy production while reducing fatigue, helps maintain a healthy digestive system, is essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails, and low levels are commonly associated with Hashimoto’s. I find a dose of 5000 mcg daily for 10 days, then 5000 mcg weekly once per week for 4 weeks, then 5000 mcg monthly for maintenance to be very helpful. Be sure to use the sublingual version—swallowing B12 may result in inadequate absorption. Patients should measure and test their blood levels before supplementing.
- Ferritin is our iron storage protein. Low levels are commonly associated with Hashimoto’s fatigue, hair loss and shortness of breath. Take 1 to 3 capsules daily in divided doses with meals, and keep out of reach of children and pets. Ferritin helps maintain your immune system, plays a major role in the storage of iron in the cells, and helps improve energy. Patients should measure and test their blood levels before supplementing.
All three of these nutrients can be tested via Ulta Lab.
Protein Digestion Issues
Protein deficiency and malabsorption is a frequent occurrence in Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism and may lead to deficiencies in important amino acids such as L-tyrosine (a component of thyroid hormones) and L-glutamine (a component of gut cells), leading to hypothyroidism and intestinal permeability, respectively. In order to address this issue, I recommend a high-quality hypoallergenic protein powder and protein digestive enzymes.
- High-quality hypoallergenic protein powders – Most protein powders on the market contain soy and dairy, which are very reactive proteins for people with Hashimoto’s. Egg white proteins are less reactive, but unfortunately, those with Hashimoto’s who start using them often find themselves with new-onset egg reactions, because egg whites are difficult to digest for people with intestinal permeability.The protein powders that are best tolerated by people with Hashimoto’s are pea protein and hydrolyzed beef protein. Both are hypoallergenic and easy to digest. You can add them to your Root Cause Green Smoothies. I recommend using the pea protein for cleansing (Liver Support Protocol) and the hydrolyzed beef protein for building (Adrenal Recovery and Gut Balance Protocols).
Rootcology AI Paleo Protein – Hydrolyzed beef protein offers a special advantage, as it is less likely to cause new food reactions due to the hydrolysis process, which breaks the protein into tiny pieces. Surprisingly, hydrolyzed beef protein is very tasty. It doesn’t taste like beef but has a slight milky taste. I’ve developed the Rootcology AI Paleo Protein to contain hydrolyzed beef protein that is free of any fillers and compliant with even the strictest autoimmune protocol.
Rootcology Paleo Protein (Vanilla) – This is a great-tasting vanilla-flavored protein powder, yielding 21g of protein per serving. It contains HydroBEEF™, a highly concentrated, pure beef protein.
Rootcology Organic Pea Protein – This organic, natural pea protein isolate is a true vegan protein which has high bioavailability and excellent digestibility. Pea protein is controversial in the traditional Paleo diet, but it will be included here because it’s a hypoallergenic protein for people with Hashimoto’s and is well tolerated by most. I recommend using this for cleansing (ie. during the Liver Support Protocol).
Betaine with Pepsin – Derived from beets, Betaine HCl and pepsin are naturally occurring components of the gastric juices that increase stomach acid and break down protein bonds in our food to make nutrients and amino acids more bioavailable. They are especially important for proper absorption of protein, calcium, B12, and iron. Taking betaine with pepsin while eating protein-containing meals can really support your digestion and boost energy. As a bonus, it can also help break down homocysteine, which is tremendously helpful for those with MTHFR gene mutations.
Other Really Helpful Supplements
As a pharmacist, I am well aware that all supplements are not created equally. I have access to numerous high quality supplements, and have spent a great deal of time researching and testing various brands.
I can tell you that many supplements are ineffective, and some are even downright unsafe. The truth is that most supplement companies do not undergo the same scrutiny and testing that pharmaceutical products do, because many of the tests which are required of pharmaceutical companies are ‘voluntary’ for supplement companies. For this reason, I have put my training to good use in overcoming Hashimoto’s, and now, in the development of my own supplement line. It’s a blend of my two passions and areas of expertise, root causes and pharmacology! Rootcology is dedicated to creating innovative, bioavailable products that are made with the greatest care, and with the highest quality ingredients available. All of the supplement ingredients have been carefully chosen by yours truly, to address the needs and sensitivities of people with autoimmune thyroid disease. Rootcology supplements are:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Soy protein-free
- Pesticide free
- Free of artificial flavors and sweeteners
- Pharmaceutical grade
- Third-party lab tested
Furthermore, all Rootcology supplements undergo third-party testing to ensure that the ingredients on the label are safe, effective, and match what’s actually inside the bottle.
In addition to my own line of supplements, I have personally decided on the Pure Encapsulations brand for my health needs. Pure Encapsulations supplements are normally only available through healthcare professionals, however, the company has allowed me to set up an online store to better serve our community. You can find my recommendations and my PureRXO store here.
Megasporebiotic – This spore-based probiotic has a unique mechanism of action, which allows it to directly modulate the gut microbiome. Spore-based probiotics have shown promise in various autoimmune diseases and in reducing allergies and asthma. Clients and colleagues with Hashimoto’s have reported the following after using MegaSporeBiotics for thirty to ninety days: a reduction in thyroid antibodies, an improved mood, less pain, better bowel movements, more energy, and a reduction or complete elimination of food sensitivities.
Beeya Wellness – Beeya’s delicious seed cycling powder contains nutrient-dense seeds for both estrogen and progesterone support. I used Beeya along with some other strategies to regulate my cycle during a flare up, and within a month my period was 28 days long again! (Use code DRWENTZ to get $5 off your purchase.)
Natural Dispensary for the UK – The Natural Dispensary is based in the UK, but ships to most of Europe. They offer a wide range of all-natural supplements. Use “Izabella Wentz” as referring practitioner to get many of the supplements I recommend sent to Europe!
ION* Intelligence of Nature – I love their Gut Support! This a balanced formula contains soil-derived humic and fulvic substances, which attract positively charged toxins such as heavy metals, environmental toxins, and glyphosate, and goes beyond probiotics to defend you from environmental toxins and diversify your gut microbiome naturally. (Save 15% off at checkout with my special code: DRWENTZ)
A diet that focuses on nutrient-dense foods and excludes inflammatory foods is one of the keys to healing your body from the impacts of Hashimoto’s, autoimmune disease and nutrient deficiencies. While everyone may have their unique dietary preferences, needs and sensitivities, I’ve found that the gluten-free diet, Paleo diet and the autoimmune Paleo diet are some of the most helpful dietary templates to start, in fact up to 90% of people can feel significantly better utilizing these dietary templates and will see improvements in weight, energy and hair, as well as improvements in objective thyroid markers, like a reduction in thyroid antibodies after 3 months of following these types of diets. Getting started is the hardest!
Cooking and Recipes
If you’re looking for help with starting on one of these diets or just for some great recipe ideas, I recommend the following tools and resources.
Favorite cookbooks and meal plans:
- My Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology Cookbook – 125 delicious recipes with thyroid-supporting nutrients, strategies for making diet changes an easy part of your life, tips for revamping your kitchen and pantry, and protocols that will help transform your body into a safe place so that it can receive the food you need to heal.
- My Root Cause Recipes and Meal Plans – These weekly meal plans and shopping lists eliminate the hassle and stress from clean eating, with 6 weeks each of Paleo and Autoimmune Paleo, plus 2 weeks each of Low FODMAP and Anti-Candida, so you can start optimizing your health.
- Part-Time Paleo Cookbook by Leanne Ely makes going Paleo fun, easy, and delicious with dozens of ideas, suggestions and recipes.
- Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook by Mickey Trescott arms you with information and advice to help anyone integrate the Autoimmune Protocol into their routine!
- Clean Southern Cuisine by Amanda Gipson Nowosadzki combines the benefits of a healing diet with flavor robust foods, to create authentic Southern recipes that are nutritious too.
- Cooking for Hormone Balance by Magdalena Wszelaki shows you how to use hormone-supporting superfoods and herbs to awaken your healing capabilities.
- Real Plans – Real Plans is a subscription-based meal planning service that allows for flexibility — you can choose foods to create a personalized meal plan, based on your diet (Paleo, AIP, etc.), your schedule, and desired servings. This service can help you save time and money by knowing exactly which ingredients you need to purchase (no food waste!). I love that it allows you to customize your meals to your budget and diet preferences. Their subscription options are affordable and start as low as $6/month.
- Simply Gluten Free – This magazine and blog provides simple solutions for the gluten free home cook, offering thousands of tasty recipes and wellness information to support your gluten free lifestyle. (Use MAG5OFF for $5 off any subscription!)
Food prep tools to make life easier:
- Vitamix – Vitamix blenders are built to last and come with full warranties—great for blending “green smoothies,” heartier recipes, chunky salsas, thick vegetable soups, and more!
- Almond Cow – This plant-based milk maker can transform any nut, seed, or grain (including coconut) into delicious dairy-free milk – just add water! They even have a subscription service where you can get your favorite ingredients delivered right to your door. (Use code THYROIDPHARMACIST for $20 off any purchase of $200 or more.)
- Roaster – The Graniteware 15-Inch Covered Oval Roaster, 13″L x 9″W x 3.5″H, is great for cooking your Thanksgiving turkey or roasting any meal, because it browns better and cooks more evenly than foil roasters.
- Omega Juicer – Easy-to-use masticating juicer with a powerful motor. 110 V; 15-year warranty is great for newcomers to juicing and experts alike.
- Slow Cooker – Hamilton Beach 33564 IntelliTime Slow Cooker 6-Quart, adjusts cooking time to your schedule. Select a long cooking time and the temperature rises slowly; select a short cooking time and the temperature rises quickly, or select manual heat, warm, low, medium, or high, without setting a time.
- Instant Pot – Instant Pot 6 Quart, 6-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer lets your cook all of your favorite dishes just by pressing a button.
- Travel Blender – Hamilton Beach Personal Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid is great for fruit smoothies, icy drinks, shakes and more, and the travel lid lets you drink from the jar so you can blend and drink in the same jar for less mess.
- Fermenting Crock Pot – Nik Schmitt Fermenting Crock Pot; 10 Liter, is suitable for all types of vegetables. Fermented vegetables adds good bacteria to your gut and adding fermented foods to your diet gives you a healthy dose of probiotics.
- Spiralizer – Paderno World Cuisine 3 Stainless Steel Blade Vegetable Slicer / Spiralizer, Counter-Mounted creates healthy and visually appealing meals or side dishes in minutes! The spiralizer is the perfect addition to anyone’s kitchen, including those with special diets like paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and diabetic. Spiralized food items can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Yonanas – The Yonanas Ice Cream Treat Maker instantly turns frozen fruit and other flavorings into a delicious and healthy soft-serve treat. The chute accepts berries, sliced mango, or cantaloupe along with frozen banana, for a silky-smooth confection. Once you try Yonana, you won’t miss dairy-based ice cream at all!
- Our Place Always Pan – Our Place is a new, sustainable cookware brand that sources from ethical factories, uses compostable packaging with zero plastic in sight, and uses a proprietary non-toxic coating that has been deemed the safest option by experts. Their core product is the Always Pan, which was designed to be the perfect size and shape to do the work of eight pieces of traditional cookware. This pan is coated with PTFE- and PFAS-free non-stick ceramic coating. It even comes with a nesting spatula and steamer basket, so you have everything you need to cook delicious, thyroid-friendly food at home. (Please note: This pan is made of metal, and uses a non-toxic protective coating to prevent the metal from leaching into food. As with all pans, it is recommended to replace your pans if you scratch them.)
Gluten-free Meal Delivery Services:
- Paleo on the Go – Farm fresh, fully prepared, frozen paleo and autoimmune protocol meals hand-crafted by their executive chef and delivered directly to your doorstep, saving you time and offering a healthy alternative to cooking when you’re running late.
- Trifecta – Paleo, clean, vegetarian, or vegan meals shipped directly to work or home. Enjoy fresh, healthy meals right away, keep meals refrigerated for up to two weeks or frozen for up to six months.
- Methodology – This meal service brings fully prepared food to your door, that tastes absolutely delicious. Not only are their meals free of gluten and refined sugar, but they’re created with a focus on increasing fruit and vegetable intake, and decreasing processed foods (and they can accommodate for multiple allergies and diets). For a 20% discount on your first order, use my discount code: IZABELLACCBF.
- Captain Soup – I was so excited to learn about this meal delivery service that one of my readers created! Captain Soup offers “heat and eat” nutrient dense food — with grass fed meats, organic fruits and veggies, and nourishing bone broth, there’s an abundance of thyroid healing nutrients in each meal. If you’re interested in trying Captain Soup, you can save $10 off your purchase with code DRWENTZ.
Favorite Food Sources:
- Flavor Chef Bone Broth – Beyond the flavor, this go-to bone broth in chicken and beef is great for healing the gut, boosting the immune system, and rejuvenating your tired joints. (Receive 10% off using code Thyroid10).
- US Wellness Meats – The finest grass-fed and organic meat with no antibiotics or growth hormones, that are rich in nutrients and higher in essential vitamins and minerals. You can buy a variety of organic meats and poultry, including beef, bison, lamb, pork, rabbit, chicken, and duck. They also have a selection of wild-caught seafood.
- Vital Choice Seafood and Organics – is a trusted source for fast home delivery of the world’s finest wild seafood and organic fare, harvested from healthy, well-managed wild fisheries and farms. They are a leading source of pure, healthful, sustainable foods, and omega-3 supplements.
- ButcherBox – Get 100% grass fed beef, free range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork delivered to your door for less than $6.00 per meal! (Use my code THYROID to get $10 off your order!)
- Paleovalley Snacks – These snacks are created with integrity, free from problematic ingredients, and teeming with ingredients that promote vibrant health. They have no additives, and are naturally good for you! My personal favorites include their Turkey Sticks and Beef Sticks.
- Dry Farm Wines – Natural and organic family farmed wines that are low in alcohol, statistically sugar/carb free, low in sulfites, and additive free. (You can also pair your wine with PureWine Wands, which remove sulfites and histamines that often lead to headaches, fatigue, congestion, upset stomach and hangovers. These innovative wands remove these problematic substances, without affecting taste or aroma! They’re currently offering a special discount to my readers, for 20% off your order using code THYROID20.)
- Bulletproof Coffee – Environmentally conscious and ethically sourced coffee that has a massive impact on your energy and cognitive function.
- Kombucha Kamp – Kombucha Kamp offers products, supplies, recipes and more, for making fermented foods that help with digestion, immunity and good gut health.
- Desert Farms Camel Milk – Camel milk is the safest animal milk for people with cow’s milk sensitivity. It also has potential gut healing properties. Also available in the UK at Desert Farms Camel Milk UK.
- Thrive Market – Membership community that uses the power of direct buying to deliver the world’s best healthy food and natural products at wholesale prices. Stocks a wide variety of products including vegan, dairy free, vegetarian, organic, Paleo, gluten free, etc.
- Vitacost – An affordable online health food store that offers a wide variety of staple food and grocery items, as well as skin care products and supplements.
- Fermented Cabbage – Thirty Acre Farm grows and produces more than 100,000 lbs of lacto fermented sauerkraut, ruby kraut, kimchi, gingered carrots, hot sauce and sour dill pickles that are rich in nutrients, promote the growth of beneficial probiotics, improve digestion, and boost the immune system.
- Pique Tea Crystals – These cold brew tea crystals provide clean, sustained energy and six times the antioxidants of regular tea bags. Plus, they are very convenient for traveling as they come in packets and many can be brewed in hot or cold water.
- Dandy Blend – Instant herbal beverage with dandelion; gluten and caffeine free and a healthy alternative to coffee with no withdrawal symptoms.
- Rasa Coffee Alternative – These yummy adaptogenic blends are packed with herbs that provide lasting energy, while nourishing your adrenals. They have a variety of options, including coffee blends, caffeine-free blends, and even an AIP-Friendly version! (Use code IZABELLAWENTZPHARMD to get 15% off)
- Organic Creamed Coconut – Wonderful in smoothies and for making coconut yogurt and is the chef’s choice for soups and stews. It replaces dairy and coconut milk in sauces, curries, smoothies and more.
- Primal Kitchen – An entire collection of oils, sauces, and condiments, that are free of dairy, gluten, grains, refined sugar, and soy, and contain only real, simple ingredients. I love their avocado oil mayo!
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are great in yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods and smoothies. They can also be added to sauces. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, are rich in antioxidants, and provide fiber, iron, and calcium. Omega-3 fatty acids help raise HDL cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke.
- Coconut Oil – Nutiva Organic, cold-pressed, unrefined, virgin coconut oil is made from non-GMO, sustainably farmed coconuts. An ideal addition to paleo, ketogenic, and gluten free diets, it has natural moisturizing and deep conditioning properties, making it an invaluable part of every body care regimen.
- NUCOS Organic Paleo Wraps – This grain-free tortilla is certified organic and free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, yeast, and added sugars. Made with just three natural ingredients, this tortilla has a low glycemic index, meaning it can help curb one’s appetite and keep blood sugar levels stable. It can be used for tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and more!
- Maca Powder – An amazing superfood that can provide energy, endurance and strength. Good for immunity and vitality, it is high in linoleic, palmitic and oleic acid. Maca powder contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium; and is also a good source of trace minerals, vitamins and amino acids. Use it in smoothies or mix it into teas, nut milks, coffee, protein drinks or any other beverage.
- Camu Camu Powder – The Camu Camu berry is an amazing super-fruit and contains more vitamin C than any other known botanical source. It is great in smoothies and sauces.
- Coco Biotic – by Body Ecology, is a powerful liquid source of probiotics that is organic, non-GMO and made with all-natural ingredients to help leaky gut and improve digestive health.
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Blends – A variety of delicious medicinal mushroom derived drinks. Some are made with adaptogenic blends, and many are caffeine-free. A few options include coffee mixed with mushrooms, which supports productivity and provides antioxidants but without the jitters, crashing, or stomach issues as with regular coffee products.
- MUD/WTR – If you’re considering giving up coffee, or looking for a new morning ritual that promotes energy and focus, I highly recommend trying “Mud Water.” It contains adaptogenic and brain-boosting mushrooms with a blend of tea, that support the body’s ability to deal with stressors while promoting natural energy.
- Bee Pollen – Raw bee pollen has been touted for being helpful in preventing seasonal allergies. (The theory is that its consumption helps desensitize one’s body to the proteins in the pollen.) Bee pollen is also known for being a great source of B vitamins, various minerals, amino acids, and protein. You can add bee pollen to smoothies, toast, and salads!
- Super Food Honey by Beekeeper’s Naturals – This delicious, sustainably-sourced blend of raw honey, royal jelly, propolis, and bee pollen is rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and beneficial enzymes. As such, it also helps to support our gut health and balance the immune system, making it a perfect sweetener for those with Hashimoto’s.
Reducing Toxic Exposure
Our modern world exposes us to an increasingly large number of toxins every day. We inhale toxins through the air we breathe, absorb them through our skin when we use personal care products, and ingest them when we eat foods that have been steeped in pesticides. People with Hashimoto’s often have an impaired ability to handle all these toxins, resulting from a genetic predisposition to be less efficient at detoxification, nutrient deficiencies, an overburdened system, or excessive exposure to toxins. All of these can compromise the body’s natural detox pathways. In general, people who develop autoimmune diseases are more sensitive to toxins in the environment.
I’ve compiled a list of products that can help relieve the toxic burden you may be exposed to in your household:
AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Filter – Fluoride has been shown to have a negative impact on thyroid function. That’s why I recommend Reverse Osmosis Filters, one of the few filter types that remove fluoride from our water supply. My favorite water filter is the new countertop AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Filter. I’ve set up a special discount for Thyroid Pharmacist Readers to get a discount when they visit this link.
TapScore – I use this service to get independent laboratory water testing for hundreds of contaminants in my water, so I know how effective my water filter is at removing toxins. Simply request a test kit, collect a water sample, send it in, and await your comprehensive report!
Clearly Filtered – This company offers a variety of filtration systems, including water pitchers, shower heads, and under the sink filters, that are able to remove up to 99 percent of fluoride from the water. Their website provides links to independent testing results from EPA-accredited laboratories that show the levels of contaminates their products are able to remove from the water source. (You can get 10% off their new filtration systems using code DRWENTZ10 at checkout!)
The Reverse Osmosis Revolution is a 4-stage Portable Reverse Osmosis RO Revolution Water Purification System that easily attaches to your kitchen faucet and is for people who use tap water to drink, cook and make tea and coffee, but don’t want added fluoride, which contributes to thyroid suppression!
AIR Doctor – A home air purifier is great for clearing out airborne toxins in the air you breathe every day. AIR Doctor is the first affordable air purifier that not only removes almost 100% of particles (pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores and smoke) but also the vast majority of toxic ozone, volatile organic chemicals and gases.
Sweet Dreams Mattresses – Most mattresses contain PBDE based flame retardants – a toxin that is connected to an increased incidence of Hashimoto’s and can trigger or accelerate the condition. I love the Sweet Dreams Latex and Organic Mattress because it’s PBDE free, dust mite resistant and anti-microbial and made with natural materials like botanical latex, organic cotton, and natural wool.
Thyroid Shield – Low doses of radiation can contribute to thyroid disease including cancer, so you may want to consider using a thyroid shield when getting medical or dental x-rays.
Sunlighten Saunas – Sweating is an excellent way to lower your body’s toxic burden. As people with hypothyroidism usually have a lower body temperature, they often need to make an extra effort to sweat. This can be done at a quicker rate (and in the comfort of your home!) with the use of infrared saunas like this one by Sunlighten.
Queen of the Thrones – Caster oil packs can help improve sleep, digestion, hormone balance, and to help the liver clear out toxins. I’ve known about them for years, but only started doing them regularly after finding out about Queen of the Thrones. Their kit makes it super easy and, in my opinion, much more effective!
Birth Control Alternatives
Taking artificial hormones in the form of birth control can lead to hormonal imbalances and nutrient depletion, including a lowered level of free thyroid hormone. Some women may want to opt for hormone-free alternatives for family planning purposes.
Taking Charge of Your Fertility – I highly recommend this book which gives an amazingly descriptive and thorough overview of the Fertility Awareness Method for pregnancy prevention and achievement. After reading this book cover to cover, I have purchased a copy for all of my girlfriends!
Lady Comp – This fertility monitor uses the fertility awareness method (FAM) by learning and tracking your menstrual cycle. It shows you the days you are fertile or not with an accuracy of 99.3%.
Nano Towel – Nano Towels save you money and also the environment by ending your need of expensive paper towels. Made of Nanolon fiber, a unique material that is much finer than human hair, these towels capture liquid, dust, dirt, and grime like a magnet, with just water – without the use of toxic chemicals!
Magnetic Laundry System – This innovative system uses magnets, instead of detergents, to clean clothes safely and effectively. It has completely changed our laundry routine. It turns out that many of the ingredients in laundry detergent aren’t listed on the label, so eliminating this source of toxins from our household was a huge relief.
Puracy Natural Liquid Dish Soap – Liquid dish soap often contains toxic chemicals, but Puracy Natural dish soap is an exception! It contains ingredients sourced from plants, minerals, water, and a hint of fresh green tea and lime, and is free of sulfates, triclosan, parabens, petrochemicals, animal by-products, toxins, perfumes, and caustic ingredients that dry out and damage your skin.
Branch Basics – I recently discovered these cleaning solutions and have been using them through my whole house! They are made with plant & mineral based, fragrance-free ingredients that gently remove dirt, grease and grime, without the harmful toxins that are found in many conventional cleaning products. (My readers can use code IZABELLAWENTZ, for 15% off all Starter Kits.)
Homebiotic – Though molds are all around us, exposure in large quantities can sometimes lead to serious health problems. This unique probiotic spray for your home is made with healthy soil bacteria, free of harmful chemicals, and safe to use around your family and pets. Each spray introduces millions of friendly bacteria, to keep your home cleaner at the microscopic level, fighting hard to reduce grime and musty odors at the source!
Personal Care Items
Our personal care items are unfortunately a frequent source of toxicity for our bodies. Triclosan (in antibacterial soaps and toothpastes), fluoride (in water and toothpaste), parabens, phthalates (in lotions and makeup), heavy metals (in makeup products and antiperspirants) are just some of the ingredients that have been found to have thyroid and hormone disrupting properties.
You can check out the Environmental Working Group (EWG) database for information on how your products stack up.
Here are some of my favorite cosmetic items with reduced toxicity:
Beautycounter – Safe and toxic-free makeup, skincare and bath and body products without the harmful chemicals found elsewhere.
Wellnesse – This new line of haircare and toothpastes by Katie Wells (the “Wellness Mama”) contains high quality, safe ingredients that are clearly labeled, so there are no surprises! I love their shampoo for keeping my long hair soft and manageable, and their natural whitening toothpaste is a new favorite.
Acure Organics – I love these pure, simple and effective plant-based beauty products. A few of my personal favorites include their leave in conditioner made with argan oil and argan extract for all hair types, moisturizing shampoo and conditioner that help even the most dry and damaged hair to be soft and manageable, and clarifying shampoo and conditioner that provide vital moisture to combat everyday tangles and buildup.
Araza Beauty – This natural make-up is made with healthy fats, organic plant based ingredients, and minerals, that all work together to feed and nourish your skin. And best of all, it’s the first makeup line to become Paleo Certified! Each product that bears the paleo certified logo has undergone a strict auditing process to ensure that it’s free from legumes, dairy, gluten, grains and anything artificial and harmful.** (Use code Thyroid15 to get 15% off.)
Bare Minerals Blush – Long-wearing blush that’s blended with antioxidants and cold-pressed camellia oil for anti-aging benefits.
Bare Minerals Eyeshadow – Provides vivid color with seamless blend ability and skin-nourishing benefits that lasts up to 12 hours.
Bare Minerals Foundation – Creamy, rich foundation with SPF 15.
Physician’s Formula Mascara – Organic, natural mascara made with the purest ingredients and 100% free of toxic chemicals.
Here are some other personal care products that I recommend:
Bath bombs – Six essential oil blends to treat your senses and made with 100% natural and organic ingredients.
Epsom Salts – Known for its premium quality and many therapeutic uses, soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available.
Tangle Teezer – While hair brushes are not exactly known to be toxic, people with thyroid conditions often struggle with tangled hair when their thyroid hormones get out of balance. The Tangle Teezer brush is an awesome tool that helps to get the tangles out without causing unnecessary hair loss.
Pretty Frank Deodorant – Made with skin-soothing oils that help to calm redness and discomfort, Pretty Frank’s deodorants keep body odor in check — without the use of aluminum and other toxic ingredients found in conventional deodorizing products.
Supporting Detoxification Pathways
An accumulation of toxic buildup over time can result in an overburdened detoxification system leading to symptoms such as fatigue, brain fog, inflammation, multiple chemical sensitivities, and skin breakouts. Supporting the liver’s detoxification pathways may lower the toxic burden and aid in a reduction of symptoms. If you’ve read Hashimoto’s Protocol, you’ll know that following my recommended Liver Support Protocol can help a person feel better in as little as two weeks!
The Liver Support Protocol includes the following supplements, which are designed to support all of the liver’s detoxification pathways:
MTHFR Pathways – Some individuals with Hashimoto’s may have a variation in the MTHFR gene that prevents them from properly activating folate, an important substance needed for detoxification pathways. You can support your methylation pathways by taking this supplement, which contains activated B6 (as riboflavin-5’-phosphate), activated folate, and B12 as methylcobalamin and trimethylglycine, which breaks down homocysteine. Those with the MTHFR gene mutation will likely benefit from long-term supplementation. MTHFR Pathways also maintains a healthy homocysteine pathway to support detoxification, healthy immune function, brain, and cardiovascular health.
Liver Reset – Liver Reset includes the amino acids, nutrients and herbs needed to support the phase I and II metabolic pathways of the liver. It also balances high levels of antioxidants for safe detoxification and promotes healthy liver function and elimination.
Liver & Gallbladder Support – An impaired liver and gallbladder may result in fat malabsorption, which may result in greasy, floating, or light-colored stools, gas or belching, dry skin, gallbladder pain, gallstones, gallbladder removal, nausea, hormonal imbalances, and vitamin A, D, E or K deficiencies. Liver & Gallbladder Support is designed to support bile flow for the normal processing and elimination of toxins through its specific combination of nutrients and herbs. By supporting liver and gallbladder function, it aids the elimination of fatty substances from the liver and the digestion and assimilation of fats and fat-soluble vitamins.
Amino Support – Amino Support is useful for preparing the liver for phase II detoxification. Providing nutritional support for phase II detoxification helps conjugate toxins and prepare them for safe elimination from the body.
Pure N-Acetyl Cysteine – Pure N-Acetyl Cysteine is an amino acid that is a precursor to glutathione, the body’s most powerful antioxidant, and helps promote optimal detoxification. Research has shown that people with Hashimoto’s disease have lower levels of glutathione. I have found NAC to be such an important supplement for those with Hashimoto’s that I developed my own version and recommend it to those looking to support their thyroid function and healthy antibody levels. It is also beneficial for protection against normal exposure to heavy metals.
Curcumin Absorb – Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is great for detoxifying various metals and toxins. Turmeric powder has anti-inflammatory, detoxifying, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. Typically, the effects of curcumin only last about an hour in the body, but I’ve found that combining curcumin with piperine, an alkaloid found in pepper, will keep it in the body longer. I recommend this highly bioavailable curcuminoid formulation to support the liver and inflammatory pathways.
Magnesium – Magnesium deficiency is a common deficiency reported in the general population, as well as in people with Hashimoto’s. Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include headaches, constipation, irritability, insomnia, anxiety, menstrual cramps, leg cramps and pain.. Magnesium Citrate Powder by Rootcology addresses magnesium and supports the relaxation of our bowels, mind and body. Additionally, when taken with the rest of the Liver Support Protocol, magnesium can lessen symptoms and improve outcomes.
Supporting the Stress Response
Up to 90 percent of individuals with Hashimoto’s have some degree of adrenal dysfunction, which may be due to nutrient depletion, stress, miscommunication of the adrenal and pituitary glands, hormonal downregulation, or in rare cases, an autoimmune attack on the adrenals.
I suggest getting your adrenals tested with a saliva test, like the ZRT Adrenal Stress Profile. This test is available through functional medicine practitioners, or can be self-ordered.
My Fundamental Adrenal Recovery Protocol found in Hashimoto’s Protocol is a broad spectrum protocol focusing on the fundamentals of caring for the adrenals.
These fundamentals include:
- Getting more rest
- Reducing caffeine intake
- Supporting the body with the ABC’s (Adaptogens, B-Vitamins, Vitamin C)
- Reducing inflammation
Following the Adrenal Recovery Protocol for 4 weeks will help most people feel significantly better. (Please note: Supplements containing ashwagandha should be avoided in people with nightshade reactions.)
Adrenal supplements that I recommend include ABC blends of Adrenal Support, Selenium, thiamine and magnesium.
Adrenal Support – I developed the Rootcology Adrenal Support to help you support the adrenals.. This is a blend of the ABC’s in one formula: adrenal adaptogens, B vitamins, and vitamin C. This supplement is designed to promote healthy cortisol levels, hypothalamic and pituitary function (HPTA axis), and catecholamine production (dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine).
If you are unable to get the Rootcology brand of supplements in your country, the following formulas are compatible to Adrenal Support:
Alternative ABC Blends:
Daily Stress Formula – This blend of adaptogenic herbs, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids is designed to support the adrenals and provide powerful defense from the mental and physical factors associated with occasional stress. The formula synergistically supports mental relaxation while counteracting the metabolic effects of occasional stress as well, and is recommended throughout the Adrenal Protocol.
Adrenotone – A combination of standardized adaptogenic herbs and nutrients which are known to contribute to rejuvenating the adrenals. This product is designed to help support healthy cortisol levels, hypothalamic and pituitary function (HPTA axis), and catecholamine production (dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine).
Standalone B Vitamins:
B Complex Plus – B vitamins play an important role in cell metabolism, thyroid function, and adrenal function. They become depleted in stressful situations that often precede the development of autoimmunity. Four especially important B vitamins are pantothenic acid (B5), thiamine or benfotiamine (B1), biotin (B7), and cobalamin (B12). This exceptional combination of B vitamins, including vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, biotin, and folate (as MetafolinL-5-MTHF) should be helpful for most people with low energy levels. B vitamins are water-soluble vitamins and do not build up in the body, so the risk for toxicity is almost nonexistent.
BenfoMax – Thiamine is one of the B vitamins, known as B1. It has the important roles of converting carbohydrates into energy and aiding with the digestion of proteins and fats. Thiamine is required for proper release of hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, which is needed for proper protein digestion. Most people with Hashimoto’s have little or no stomach acid. Thiamine also supports blood sugar function, adrenals, and can boost our energy levels. The latest research suggests that mild deficiency may exist in people with autoimmune disease and related malabsorption. If you’ve been struggling with fatigue, low stomach acid, carbohydrate intolerance, low blood pressure, and your adrenals, you may benefit from up to 600 mg of thiamine a day.
Other Supportive Nutrients:
Magnesium Citrate – As magnesium is depleted by stress and is often difficult to obtain from foods, most people will benefit from long-term supplementation. As mentioned above, it is also excellent for promoting relaxation.
Vitamin C – Vitamin C is an essential vitamin for supporting adrenal function. I recommend doses of 500 mg to 3,000 mg per day, as tolerated.
Selenium deficiency has been identified as an environmental trigger for Hashimoto’s. When selenium is used alone, a dose of 200-400 mcg per day has been found to reduce thyroid symptoms and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb) by about 50% within 3 months! Recent research has also shown that a combination of selenium and myo-inositol can have a synergistic effect that maximizes the benefit to thyroid function — consuming both of these together may not just reduce thyroid antibodies, but can also reduce TSH by an average of 30 percent. I created Rootcology’s Selenium + Myo-Inositol to combine selenium and myo-inositol in the same exact doses that were studied, with autoimmune-friendly ingredients. Please note, it’s important to continually monitor your thyroid hormone levels and symptoms, and ensure you are taking the optimal dosage for your body, for supplementation to be effective. Patients do not generally need to measure selenium levels as lab measurements are not usually reliable.*
Sleepme Sleep Systems – Sleep deprivation is a powerful adrenal stressor, which is why sleep hygiene is so important in restoring your health. Aside from quantity, sleep deprivation is often caused by poor sleep quality. One way to improve sleep quality is by maintaining an optimal body temperature throughout the night (which can be extra challenging for those with hormone imbalances). I use the ChiliPAD Sleep System to help regulate my body temperature during sleep. It utilizes water to match your body’s heat load, which not only improves comfort, but also affects core body temperature, recovery and deep sleep. And best of all, they’re offering my readers 25% off the Cube or OOLER system using code SLEEPME, at checkout.
ChiliBLANKET – the world’s first hydro-powered, temperature-controlled weighted blanket that helps deliver restful, restorative sleep. With a chiliBLANKET, you can personalize your sleep microclimate by connecting it to your OOLER or chiliPAD control unit for hydro-powered, temperature control. Receive a special 25% discount on your purchase of the chiliBLANKET by entering the code SLEEPME at checkout! (Please note, we recommend using a weighted blanket that is within 7-15% of your body weight. The weight of the ChiliBLANKET is 20 lb.)
Truedark – The blue light that’s emitted from our electronic devices can delay the release of sleep-inducing melatonin, increase alertness, and disrupt the body’s internal clock (or circadian rhythm). Truedark’s glasses help block the blue light, to maximize control of your circadian rhythm. They also have a special tape that can be used to cover lights on appliances. 🙂
Wholetones – This healing music uses specific frequencies to help facilitate restorative sleep and create a sense of peace. My baby boy, Dimitry, used to get very stressed out in the car, often crying in his car seat. While playing lullabies helped a bit, Dimitry immediately stopped fussing and started sleeping with the Wholetones music!
Supporting the Gut and Dental Health
Functional medicine tells us that the gut is at the center of autoimmune disease. What many people don’t realize, however, is that the gut isn’t just the stomach and intestines, but also the mouth, and especially the teeth and gums. Abscesses, infection, root canals, dental surgery, dental X-rays, fluoridation procedures, and amalgam fillings, are all possible igniters of autoimmune disease. Many times, dental triggers can be as important, if not more important, than even nutrition and hormones in our healing journeys!
Check out a few of my recommendations and resources for good oral health:
Akamai – I recently discovered and have had great results with Akamai’s Complete Oral Care Kit. It contains Mineral Toothpowder that gently whitens and polishes teeth, Oil Pulling Mouthwash to absorb toxins and help fight bad bacteria, as well as Fulvic Mineral Complex to support strong teeth, tooth remineralization & healthy gums. It comes with all the dental care essentials you need for a healthy mouth, without any artificial or toxic ingredients. New customers can save 15% on their first order, using my special THYROID15 code at checkout.
RiseWell – I love their dental products. Their toothpaste is made with naturally-derived hydroxyapatite, a mineral that makes up 90 percent of our tooth enamel and has been proven to strengthen and protect your teeth without fluoride. Their mouthwash is naturally alkaline and inhibits the growth of bad bacteria, leaving your mouth healthy and fresh. (Get 10% off using the code “Wentz10” at checkout!)
Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush – Waterpiks, like this one, may be helpful in displacing pathogenic bacteria, allowing for their removal.
PrioBiora Health Probiotic Mints – Oral probiotics are an accelerated way of getting beneficial bacteria into our mouths, to displace pathogenic bacteria and reduce inflammation in the mouth.
AquaTru – The AquaTru Countertop Water Filter is the most convenient and cost-effective reverse osmosis water filter that I have found. It’s super easy to set up (no plumber required!), and I love knowing that I have access to clean drinking water right in my home.
Thick glass spray bottles – These bottles are great for dental application of xylitol.
Ora Wellness – provides simple, natural solutions to painful, discouraging oral problems by bringing the organic healing power of nature to more people everyday.
Additional Tools and Resources
Personal Project Management
TaskRabbit – This website helps to reclaim your time, by connecting you with people that can assist with chores, projects, and even grocery delivery. You can choose a “Tasker” by reviews, skills, and price, schedule a time that works for you, and delegate your tasks!
Frequently Asked Questions
I receive so many emails each day, with important questions from readers and clients who are excited to take back their health but are looking for further guidance. Over the years, I’ve complied the most frequently asked questions and my answers to those questions, so that I can share this valuable information, not just with those whole email me, but with everyone looking to be more empowered on their journey. For answers to hundreds of the most common questions, please visit my Frequently Asked Questions page.
Professional Development Training
I often receive messages from people who see amazing transformations in their health through lifestyle changes and functional medicine, and are inspired to change careers! For anyone thinking about switching careers to a focus in functional medicine and exploring professional development training in this field, I highly recommend the following organizations and courses:
For People With Current Healthcare Professional Certifications/Licenses:
- The Institute For Functional Medicine – training and certifications for healthcare professionals on the fundamentals of functional medicine. The IFM is a research based organization that establishes an evidenced-based approach to chronic illness. I love attending the meetings to learn about the latest advances in functional medicine as well as to network with the innovative attendees.
- The Kalish Institute – an online certification offered to healthcare professionals who are looking to deepen their understanding of lab tests, and want clinical guidelines and specific protocols for supporting people with chronic illness.
- Functional Medicine University – Functional Medicine University is a comprehensive, online Functional Medicine Training Program and a nationally recognized leader in functional medicine education for health care professionals and CEUs.
- Reframe Nutrition – acclaimed Functional Medicine Nutritionist, Andrea Nakayama’s special course on how to use the Functional Nutrition Matrix—the #1 Tool in Functional Nutrition—to make any practice truly functional.
For People Without Current Healthcare Professional Certifications:
- Functional Medicine Coaching Academy – If you’re looking to switch careers into functional medicine, consider becoming a functional medicine coach.
- The Institute for the Psychology of Eating – If you’re looking to become a coach who helps people address their food related issues, IPE offers the deepest level of understanding for overcoming food related concerns.
- Institute for Integrative Nutrition – The largest nutrition school in the world, Integrative Nutrition provides an innovative online learning platform and global learning experience in over 150 countries worldwide.
Online Consulting Resources
I often receive questions about setting up a virtual clinic from health care professionals.
For scheduling new clients and payments, I use Acuity Scheduling. This tool accounts for time zones, integrates with my calendar and sends the client email reminders about our upcoming appointments. Acuity Scheduling can be tailored to collect visit payments and integrates with Stripe and Paypal.
IntakeQ provides a HIPPA-compliant, customizable intake form that allows us to collect client health information, consent forms and labs.
Fullscript is an online dispensary tool for supplements. As a pharmacist, I love this tool because it allows me to send specific recommendations to clients that are inclusive of the name, brand, dosage and instructions for each recommendation. The clients also have an option to order the supplements through my dispensary to be shipped to their homes. This tool is a wonderful option to ensure clients are receiving the correct supplements and to minimize potential for errors! Plus, you do not need to carry the supplements in your clinic! I also use this tool to write up notes for the clients.
When clients require blood tests, I refer them to Ulta Lab for self-ordering options. A wonderful benefit of this portal is that the patient can often submit the receipts for reimbursement to their insurance. (I always advise checking with their individual insurance company before ordering, of course). You can set up your own “customized” channel with the specific labs you want to have for your clients by using this link.
Writing a Book
Lastly, people often reach out to me about advice about publishing books! If you’re thinking about self-publishing, I recommend Kindle Publishing.
If you’re looking for a traditional publisher, I highly recommend Harper One.
Celeste Fine is the finest literary agent in the field 🙂