My wonderful hubby makes these mouthwatering carnitas on the weekends, and we enjoy them for every meal for days on end!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 to 3¾ hours
- 3 to 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (if tolerated)
- *1 teaspoon ground cumin (if tolerated)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- *½ teaspoon paprika (if tolerated)
- 1 bay leaf 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- Water to cover*To make the dish Autoimmune Paleo, remove the cumin and paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the meat in a Dutch oven or other braising pot with a cover.
- Mix the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and paprika together in a small bowl and rub the mixture on the meat on all sides.
- Add the bay leaf, garlic, and onion on top of the meat.
- Pour in enough water to almost cover the meat.
- Braise for 3 to 3½ hours, mixing the meat and turning it over every hour or so. You’ll know the meat is done when the water is mostly evaporated and the meat is slightly brown, tender, and easy to shred with a fork.
- When most of the water is gone and the pork turns slightly brown, shred the pork, discard the fat, and mix the meat with the pan juices.
- Place the pot back into the oven, uncovered, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Enjoy with eggs and spaghetti squash hash in the morning, with a salad at lunch, and with veggies for dinner!
>>Can also be made in a slow-cooker!
Want more recipes? Download my Free One Week Paleo Recipe Plan by entering your email below!